Dad Makes It to 2-Year-Old Son's Birthday Party After Surviving Coronavirus and Strokes

June 30, 2020

A father of two is proving that he can overcome anything life throws his way.

Omar Taylor survived coronavirus, double pneumonia, sepsis, heart failure, and two strokes.

The 31-year-old spent a month on a ventilator after being rushed to the hospital with breathing difficulties on March 19.

Doctors believe his preexisting bowel disorder, ulcerative colitis, is what caused his immune system to be compromised by the novel virus.

As his condition deteriorated, he was intubated and put into an induced coma.

“I had to look at my four-year old and my two-year old and think about how I would tell them that their father was dying,” his wife Kaitlyn Taylor, told MailOnline.

When his condition stabilized and he was weaned off of sedation, his nurses realized he was unable to move his right arm and lost his ability to speak due to a double stroke.

Kaitlyn was told her husband would likely never walk again.

“First we were told he was going to die, then we were told he would never be able to walk,” she told the publication.

Weeks later, when Omar walked out of the hospital, he was applauded by the stunned nurses who took care of him. His wife called his recovery "an absolute miracle."

The survivor was welcomed home to Rowhedge, Colchesterby by neighbors, who lined the streets to wave flags and clap. “It was amazing seeing everyone coming together to welcome him home,” she noted.

Kaitly revealed that her husband was determined to get out of the hospital in time to celebrate his son’s second birthday.

“We're going to have a really big party, just the four of us,” she added.

Omar may have gotten out of the hospital, but he still has a long road ahead of him.

He’s receiving 12 weeks of intensive rehabilitation at home and is slowly recovering some of his speech. The publication notes he can speak two to three words at a time.

While his right arm remains paralyzed, doctors remain confident that the treatment will allow him to make a 90% recovery of mobility.

“It has been so difficult, particularly with two young children,” his wife revealed, adding that their son, Harrison, who is turning two, didn’t understand why his father wasn’t coming home. She said their four-year-old daughter, Vivienne, has not left her dad’s side since his return.

“In total, he was away for eight weeks. That’s not so long for an adult, but for children it seems like forever. They didn’t think he was ever coming back,” Kaitlyn explained.

She is grateful for all the support from family and friends who have donated more than 16,000 pounds to the GoFundMe to help cover rehab costs and expenses.

“There’s a long road ahead and it will be a difficult time for us all,” Kaitlyn said, adding, “but we're so lucky that my husband is alive.”

Trending Coronavirus Coverage From RADIO.COM
—Disney World receives guidelines for when parks eventually reopen
—How likely is a second stimulus check?
—Families face ‘tough love’ conversations as coronavirus infects whole households
—6 creative ways to celebrate Mother’s Day while social distancing
—No stimulus check yet? 6 reasons why it may be held up
Doctor who pushed vitamin treatment for COVID-19 charged with fraud
Heartburn medicine being studied as possible treatment for coronavirus
—30-year-old teacher dies of coronavirus after symptoms were dismissed as panic attack

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram